28 June 2006

MIDYEAR REPORT

My top ten films of 2006 to-date (including stuff screened at festivals):

01 DUCK SEASON
02 CACHE
03 THE CASE OF THE GRINNING CAT
04 HALF NELSON
05 CLEAN
06 THE LIFE OF REILLY
07 L'ENFANT
08 SMALL TOWN GAY BAR
09 NIGHT OF TRUTH
10 MUTUAL APPRECIATION

01 is number one by a long shot. I can't wait until it hits DVD (date still TBA). 02 I first saw in Toronto last fall and left the theater dumbfounded. After a second screening in Boston in January, I got it. 03 I saw at Tribeca; they assured us this wonderful essay/documentary from Chris Marker would hit US theaters later this year, and I hope it does. 04 was the opening night film at the IFFB in April; THINKFilm releases it in August. 05 popped up at number one on this list last year; Palm Pictures finally released it this Spring. I still love it, but maybe not as much as the first time. 06 was my favorite film in Provincetown--who knew Charles Nelson Reilly could act? This is him masterfully, touchingly telling his life story on stage. 07 has improved in my mind since I caught it in April. 08 was my second favorite at Provincetown, and probably one of the most moving documentaries I've seen. 09 screened a few times at the MFA in March; everyone should be seeing it instead of that higher-profile African import TSOTSI. 10 is an advance on FUNNY HA HA, and it comes out in September.

Also highly recommended: SISTERS-IN-LAW, 12 AND HOLDING, WORDPLAY, BROTHERS OF THE HEAD, THE PUFFY CHAIR, OLD JOY.

Top Ten Films I'm looking forward to seeing in the next six months:

A SCANNER DARKLY
Richard Linklater goes WAKING LIFE on Philip K. Dick

SHADOWBOXER
Helen Mirren and Cuba Gooding Jr. as assasins/would-be lovers?

THIS FILM IS NOT YET RATED
Everyone else I went to Provincetown with saw this and loved it.

THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP
Will Michel Gondry's latest be more ETERNAL SUNSHINE... or HUMAN NATURE?

SHORTBUS
John Cameron Mitchell's curious follow-up to HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH apparently contains lots of explicit sex.

MARIE ANTOINETTE
That New Order song on the trailer alone makes me want to see it.

RUNNING WITH SCISSORS
This adaptation could be disastrous; I hope not.

FAST FOOD NATION
Another Richard Linklater film, and an unlikely adaptation of the provocative nonfiction bestseller.

VOLVER
Almodovar's latest received glowing reviews at Cannes, and it's his first with Carmen Maura in nearly two decades.

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION
Christopher Guest returns, this time skewering actors preparing for a prestigious, sure-to-be-Oscar-nominated film.

No comments: