21 November 2007

FIVE YEARS AND A MOVIE MEME

I began blogging five years ago today. Instead of linking to my very first post (if you look hard enough, you'll find it), I present a movie meme. I've been wanting to do one for some time; I found it here.

1. Name a movie that you have seen more than 10 times. A CHRISTMAS STORY, thanks to incessant, round-the-clock screenings on cable every year.

2. Name a movie that you’ve seen multiple times in the theater. MULHOLLAND DR. Just thinking about the opening music gives me chills.

3. Name an actor that would make you more inclined to see a movie. Tilda Swinton.

4. Name an actor that would make you less likely to see a movie. It’s become cliché to pick on Tom Cruise, but he still deserves it.

5. Name a movie that you can and do quote from. YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

6. Name a movie musical that you know all of the lyrics to all of the songs. THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, although I only saw it in the theater three times.

7. Name a movie that you have been known to sing along with. See # 6.

8. Name a movie that you would recommend everyone see. Jean-Pierre Melville’s ARMY OF SHADOWS, possibly the best movie I saw in a theater in 2006, even though it was made in 1969.

9. Name a movie that you own. I own about 100, but I’ll never sell my copy of THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS.

10. Name an actor that launched his/her entertainment career in another medium but who has surprised you with his/her acting chops. David Bowie—a predictable answer, given his music’s theatricality. But he was brilliant as Warhol in BASQUIAT.

11. Have you ever seen a movie in a drive-in? If so, what? I admit I saw a Jim Carrey double feature of ACE VENTURA: PET DETECTIVE and THE MASK. Yes, it was 1994.

12. Ever made out in a movie? Yes—during 28 DAYS LATER no less.

13. Name a movie that you keep meaning to see but just haven’t yet gotten around to it. Here are a few still simmering on my Netflix queue: ONE FROM THE HEART, DARWIN’S NIGHTMARE, 1900, THE BELIEVER, and FINGERS.

14. Ever walked out of a movie? Regretably, THE LAST PICTURE SHOW, but only because I was ill, and I had seen it before (it’s one of my faves).

15. Name a movie that made you cry in the theater. The end of SHORTBUS moved me to tears.

16. What’s the last movie you saw in the theater? SOUTHLAND TALES, which was ridiculous, incomprehensible and fascinating, in equal amounts.

17. What’s your favorite/preferred genre of movie? I prefer good movies.

18. What’s the first movie you remember seeing in the theater? PINOCCHIO (the Disney version, of course), although THE MUPPET MOVIE must have been second.

19. What movie do you wish you had never seen? CRASH. Along with A BEAUTIFUL MIND, it established a moratorium against my having to see every Academy Award Best Picture nominee each year.

20. What is the weirdest movie you enjoyed? Depends on how you define weird. I guess THE HAPPINESS OF THE KATIKURIS is kinda out there.

21. What is the scariest movie you’ve seen? I don’t know about scary, but PEEPING TOM is easily one of the creepiest films I’ve seen.

22. What is the funniest movie you’ve seen? I’m gathering a list of my favorite, funniest films for a Chlotrudis poll, so I’ll reveal the answer in the next few weeks.

No comments: